Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Belly

A co-worker at the water cooler yesterday suddenly blurted out, "Wait--are you expecting?" And yes indeed, this little baby girl's due date is just one month away now. Every time I get out of bed or stand up from a chair, I have to re-learn how my body is moving nowadays; and every time I pass by a mirror, I try to wrap my head around how differently-shaped I am as well.

About a month ago, I started doing quick sketches of myself. You can see that in the first sketch, I am completely flabbergasted and confused by what I look like. As the series continues, I think I've been getting a better grip on these big rounded shapes...





It's an amusing exercise, and since the camera is packed somewhere in the go-to-hospital bags, these sketches might end up being the most convenient way to document these last few weeks!

8 comments:

  1. i love these! I did a couple of belly sketches, looking down as I relaxed in bed back when my right hand wasn't numb all the time....but these are great....what a great keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I do hope that your hand heals up well and quickly. Poor thing! And very glad you got a few belly sketches into the collection when it was still comfy to draw.

      Delete
  2. Love these! What a fun way to record these times. Can't wait to see you in person:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky! Looking forward to squeezing in some nice sunny-weather sketches while the weather stays so lovely!

      Delete
  3. Love these. Warms my heart and makes me smile. Cool to see your stance widen over time, as well as you sketching yourself in the mirror. Makes me wish I had followed my own. I drew a sense of self or shape from a kind internal mapping of sensation. Hmmm . . . You look beautiful by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good observation about the stance! I hadn't even noticed that, but it totally shows now that you point it out. Internal mapping sounds awesome, will have to experiment with that in my mind's eye too. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sketches, Katura! I'm hoping to make it up to visit in January to see you (and the extension of you in your belly) in real live flesh! Feel free to create a list of things you might need/want from the Bay Area - for you or Baby and Chris too. So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be so great to see you! I owe you a real letter--fingers crossed that I will actually pull that off soon.

      Delete