Friday, August 30, 2013

Like Oaks for Turkeys

Mount Pisgah Arboretum is gearing up for their famous Mushroom Festival at the end of October, and they've invited me to do the festival poster and tee-shirts again this year. The theme: turkey-tail mushrooms with a flock of turkeys wandering through the habitat.

Now, turkey-tail mushrooms like to grow on stumps and dead branches of oak trees. Since I no longer live near the gorgeous oak savannah habitats at Mount Pisgah, I headed up to the Hoyt Arboretum one gray and drizzly morning to wander through their fine collection of oak trees, in seek of inspiring oak compositions. Here's what I drew.


 More Mushroom Festival poster adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. One of the trees in my neighborhood just sprouted an amazing turkey-tail-type growth (I haven't taken a spore sample yet, so I don't know what *exactly* it is). I'll take a couple of photos and send them to you if you think they might help with your layout thought process. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fabulous! Thank you, my friend.

      Delete