Friday, August 3, 2012

Piedras Blancas


I thought that I'd posted all the drawings from my visit to San Luis Obispo this summer, but it turns out there are two more to share. At the end of June, my family and I drove to a beach near Hearst Castle to see the elephant seals. These enormous beasts spend a lot of time studiously napping, but then they can leap into pretty ferocious wrestling matches to impress the ladies. They're quite impressive. 
Pensé que había terminado con los dibujos de mi visita a San Luis Obispo, pero ya descubro que todavía faltan dos bosquejos más. A fines de junio, mi familia y yo conducimos a una playa cerca de Hearst Castle, para ver los elefantes marinos--animales gigantescos que vacilan entre una siesta enfocada y batallas feroces para establecer dominancia. Son increíbles.

It was a very windy afternoon, so I went back to the car with my grandma and from there I painted the "Piedras Blancas" rocks which rise out of the water just past the elephant seal beach. The fun thing is that I discovered a painting of the exact same rocks hanging on the wall of my grandmother's house that afternoon--my grandpa had painted it years before. His version was a stormier day, more muted colors, painted in oils...but it was a fun to find that link nonetheless! 
Como había mucho viento en el momento de visitar, regresé al auto con mi abuela, y yo pinté la vista de la Piedras Blancas que salen del océano en este lugar. Lo divertido es que, al regresar a la casa de mi abuela, descubrí una pintura de las mismas piedras que mi abuelo había hecho, desde hace varios años. El lo había pintado en óleo, en un día del invierno con el cielo más gris con las nubes, pero todavía era divertido encontrar esta conexión.  


No comments:

Post a Comment